Sunday, December 5, 2010

25 Days of Christmas - Day #5

At first I thought we hadn't really done anything to write about for our 25 days of Christmas and that if I took something we did at church and used that as my event for today I was "cheating" - but isn't what we did at church this morning what Christmas is really all about?

Camden came home with the cutest picture of a nativity scene that he'd assembled (obviously all by himself...which is his preferred method for doing anything these days) and we were able to talk about Baby Jesus and the other people in the picture.


I think at some point we may discuss why the sheep, the palm tree and one of the Wise Men are floating in the sky, but for now, we'll just be happy that Jesus is actually in the stable...and that his mommy and daddy are close by...that's the way it would have been in real life. :o)

We sang carols as part of the service this morning. Camden has been going with us to "big church" (only for the singing) for several weeks now. He'd been doing really great until this morning - today I rejoined the choir after a 3 month sabbatical to take the "Disciplines of a Godly Family" course that conflicted with choir practice. Now that I am back in the choir loft, he wants to join me there so Ryan had to make a quick exit with him just before the prayer...we'll try that again later...

So, it's not cheating...today was very much about Christmas...and I love Christmas at our church. I love the decorations in the foyer and in the sanctuary, I love the "in memory/in honor" poinsettias, I love the fact that almost every woman over the age of 50 is wearing a Christmas/Winter themed sweater (or at least it's red), I love that we can mix a sing along of good old fashioned Christmas carols with an amazing orchestral call to worship complete with our electric guitarist rockin' out on Carol of the Bells. Mostly I love that our church is passionate about exalting Christ and making His name known - not just during Christmas, but every day of the year...and that's what it's really all about.

No comments: