Thursday, December 2, 2010

25 Days of Christmas - Day #2

Today Camden and I shopped for the family our Sunday Bible Fellowship (a.k.a. Sunday School class for all my homies back at the PHBC!) has adopted this year. It's kinda like an angel tree, except we adopt them for the entire upcoming year - inviting them to church events and social events our SBF plans, giving gifts to the mom on Mother's Day, remember the kid's birthdays, etc... it's more about being in a relationship with them and showing them the love of Christ on a "long term" basis...rather than just "playing Santa" for a brief moment of time.

Our family has a 1 year old girl in it so we enjoyed picking out a few toys that light up and make sound...along with some necessities like socks, shoes and warm clothes...and extra batteries for said toys.

I really enjoyed watching him "figure it all out" today as we were shopping. First, he just wanted to pick out excavators and trains but as I explained to him (and it took several attempts) what it was that we were doing and that we were going to think of others before we think of ourselves, it was almost like I could see the light bulb finally go off in his head. By the time we left, I think he'd suggested every pink item in the toy section and was thoroughly enjoying deciding which sweatshirt/sweatpant sets to buy...btw, he decided on the pink ones and the teal ones because they had sparkley letters on them which made them the "mostest coolest".

I hope this is the beginning of a pattern of behavior where he continues to put others first. It's something that I still forget to do myself so I know he's not always going to get it right the first try...but at least we're making a start.

No comments: