Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Moving Right Along

I don't know if hearing the words "80% effaced" and "3 cm dilated" strikes fear into any of the rest of you, but it just about knocked me off the exam room table.

We are still 19 days away from our EDD, so I am not going to place any bets on going early, on time or late, but I was assuming when I walked into the exam room today, that things would be just as they have been for the last 8 months and that I would be no closer to delivering than I was a month ago.

I think the funniest thing was having to be told that those "gas pains" I thought I was having are actually contractions. My doctor (who is absolutely wonderful) must be thinking that I am the dumbest woman on the planet. I am just chalking it up to "first time experience" - I mean, how am I supposed to know?

Now I know that this could mean one of two things...I could either be closer to delivering than 19 days...or I could just be at 80% effaced and 3 cm dilated for the next month. I plan to just keep going on with my usual day to day routine...a watched pot (or pot belly in this case) never boils, right?

I have another weekly appointment next Wednesday, the 26th, so (if I make it to then...ha ha ha) I will be sure to update you on the progress. Maybe we'll have a little one before the end of March and our kid and his cousin Jay can share a birthday month! =)

1 comment:

Tex said...

Since you are so organized and ready...concentrate on effacing and dilating. I'm ready to meet the kid.

Tex