Saturday, May 10, 2008

Long time...no post

So it's been a while since we've updated you all on our lives with "little man" - but we'll get you all caught up now...

My parents came to Omaha for a week just as Granna was wrapping up her visit. My Dad (aka Papa) spent the week lovin' up on his first grandson and my mom (aka Oma - who had already been here for a visit) spent the week helping me around the house. Both of these activities were greatly appreciated. My mom also spent the nights getting up and rocking Camden and putting him back to bed after every nighttime feeding - which I REALLY appreciated. After getting up each day at the crack of noon, we spent most of our time awake just hanging out. We did manage to eat at a couple of my parent's favorite places in Omaha and they both got massages while they were here. I guess you could say it was a pretty good visit for them.

On the day they left to head back to NC, we (Ryan, Camden and I) also left for Seattle. Ryan had a conference to go to for his job and we love tagging along. So - another first for the scrapbook...this was Camden's first trip in an airplane. He did wonderfully - I nursed him during take-off and landing so that his ears would pop and the hum of the engines kept him asleep during most of the flight itself. We spent our time in Seattle just sightseeing and eating at some fabulous restaurants. I even broke down and had a couple of glasses of this amazing wine that one of the members of our dinner party had ordered. I don't know if it was the wine or just the exhaustion from traveling, but Camden slept 8 hours that night...so if he has trouble sleeping in the future, I may have myself another glass...or 12. =)

I've tried to make all of these "events" learning experiences for me - learning about myself, about my son, about my relationship with Ryan...What I learned about myself on this trip is that I have totally changed my view of nursing in public. Granted, there are those that just flop it out for the world to see and I tend to be more on the discreet side...but now that he's eaten on a plane (we kept joking that there was in-flight meal service for some on our flight), on a ferry, in a car and in the women's lounge at Nordstrom's...there aren't many places left for us to try out. We're looking for a train so that we can say we've hit the trifecta - planes, trains and automobiles...

The biggest new thing for us now is that for the first time in his 6 weeks of life, we are totally on our own. Until now, I've had someone (Ryan, my good friend Judy, my parents, Jane...) here at the house with me and now it's just me and little man all day together. In some ways it's really nice...I actually get to hold my child during the day. I was teasing my parents and Jane that it was a good thing I was nursing or I'd never get to hold my child. In some ways though, it's really a challenge. I am learning a lot about him and myself right now and I will post some of those revelations soon.

No comments: