Thursday, November 25, 2010

Say a little prayer

One of the "lessons" I'm currently trying to teach Camden is that we can pray to God anytime that we want. This was a fact that I was very much aware of throughout my childhood...but didn't really put into practice. I made sure to pray at dinner and before bed and here and there as the situation called for it, but it's only been in the last few years that I've really gotten to the point that I just "talk" to God whenever and wherever I feel like it.

I also try to spend a little time each day in God's word and in conversation with Him...but as the laundry piles up, the teething poops get more frequent, and the dog hair accumulates, I have learned that sometimes it's not only "easier" but "better" for me if I simply continue to converse with the One who gets me through all of that each day instead of adding another "task" to my to-do list. It may not be the "ideal quiet time" that I was taught to do in my youth group days, but honestly, some of my best conversations with God have occurred over a sink full of dirty dishes.

So as I am trying to model and prompt this behavior for Camden I try to take advantage of situations that his comments present. For example, there are times when Camden will comment on how much fun it is to play outside and I'll ask him to take a moment and thank God for our nice weather. Or he will make a statement about Daddy being at work and I'll suggest that we thank God for daddy's job and for the things that we are able to have because Daddy works so hard to provide for us.

Recently at a playdate with a friend of mine (who shares this goal of "anytime" prayer with me) and her two daughters, we heard a siren in the distance and her 4 year old suggested that we pray for the people that were in need of a firetruck or an ambulance and for the workers that would be helping them. I know, she's ridiculously adorable...and spot on with how prayer should just be a normal, regular part of our day.

Fast-forward to yesterday morning - we were getting in the car to head out for the day and we hear a siren in the distance. Camden says, "Mommy, we should pray for the firemen like yesterday." Great! He's learning the lesson of talking to God anytime we want! We're getting there!!! So I ask, "Would you like to pray or do you want me to do it?" He volunteers to say it and after a few moments of silence I hear him say, "Thank you God for our good food! Amen!"

Hmmmmm...off to a good start but we'll keep working on it. :o)

No comments: