Friday, October 23, 2009

Account ending in 5394

This week Ryan and I had a first...we became the victims of identity theft. Someone used my debit card number to make a fake card (b/c I still have mine) and spend almost $6,000 at Saks 5th Avenue here in Dallas - at least they have good taste. :o)

Fortunately, if we had to have something bad happen, this is the best bad thing. The thief/thieves don't have any of my personal information like my SS#, DOB, etc. - they just had my debit card number. So while they can't steal my identity and open fraudulent accounts in my name, they still have caused me to lose a lot of patience and a couple nights of good sleep.

We also have total consumer protection from Bank of America so (eventually) all the money and any overdraft fees we've incurred will be put back in our account...but there are lots of hoops to jump through and many, many, many phone calls to make before it's a done deal.

I've spent the last couple of days with a phone in one hand and something to entertain Camden while I am on said phone in the other. Most of the places I've had to call just took my initial info and then said they'd call me back...but usually NOT during nap time b/c that would be too convenient. :o)

So after speaking to about four different departments at the bank, all three credit reporting bureaus, and several departments within the Dallas Police Department, I think I am all done with my calls. Hopefully we'll get our money back sometime early next week.

On a side note...we've been to the pumpkin patch and we'll hit the fall festival at church next week so we'll have some cute pics of Camden for you as soon as we can get them uploaded.

Have a Happy Halloween!!!

Mandy

1 comment:

Angela @IamPooped said...

I am so sorry that this happened to you. It's a PITB isn't it?

Something similar happened to me only this was a situation where somebody attempted to purchase a cell phone and plan with my information up in Washington State.

Thankfully there were lots of red flags that went up and I had discovered it because I kept getting mail from said company.

Now the credit bureau people have my information and my account is flagged any time somebody attempts to open anything with our social security numbers etc. We also get phone calls from all the credit card companies when purchases that don't make sense get made.

I hope they catch the PITB that did this to you guys.